At Yellowridge, we respect and maintain environmental practices as stipulated by contract requirements, local regulations and bylaws. We ensure all hazardous and contaminated materials are handled and disposed of in accordance with all provincial regulations and best practices. We are strongly committed to environmental sustainability and have a proven track record of developing and implementing cost-effective, sustainable solutions with our clients.
Our experience enables us to provide advice and support related to renewable energy, water efficiency, waste management, the procurement of sustainable construction materials and incorporating energy efficient design concepts and systems into each project.
Through the pre-construction phase we work with the client and design team to review the energy objectives to be achieved on the project and provide input and recommendations on the design as required. Our continual education on the latest energy requirements allows us the ability to provide input on all sustainable building methodologies including designing to LEED standards, the BC Energy Step Code, R2000 standards and Passive House requirements.
Specific areas where we generate opportunities to apply sustainable concepts for energy efficient building and to maintain a healthier environment include the following:
- Reviewing energy targets early in the design to promote the conservation of energy and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Incorporating a performance based approach to sustainable design rather than a prescriptive approach.
- Evaluating the use of construction materials based on their life cycle performance and the long-term durability and adaptability of the building.
- Material selection, including local and recycled content requirements.
- Environmental protection strategies through erosion and sediment control management.
- Implementing a construction waste management plan that incorporates the segregating and recycling of demolition and construction materials to divert items from the local landfill.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment.
- Indoor Air Quality Management during construction and prior to occupancy.
Our experience with sustainable procurement and practices is clearly demonstrated by our on-going training and our success in achieving LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification on many of our projects.